Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Emily Green and the Dancing Bear

Every afternoon, Emily Green would wander around the park. She would feed the fishes in the pond, or the pigeons in the yard, or the squirrels in the trees (if she bought nuts).

Next to the pond was Old Man Garth, who played an accordion and kept a bear that danced along as he played. People would toss coins as Garth played. The bear was kept on a chain, and made to wear a frilly thing around its neck. Emily could not stand to watch the performance, but one day as she was passing by on her way to feed the pigeons, the bear called out to her, knowing that she could understand it.

"Emily, I know you. Please, I need my freedom. I was a cub when I was caged up. I want to feel the icy waters of the river flow beneath my feet. To see the leaves of trees turn from green to red as the season changes from summer to autumn. To walk on soft ground and dig up earthworms. Please Emily. You are the only one who can make me free."

Emily nodded to the bear, even as the audience watching the performance clapped and threw coins. She whispered to the bear, "I will free you, Mr Bear."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home